Mtskheta, one of the oldest cities of the country of Georgia is located approximately 20 kilometers north of Tbilisi at the confluence of the Aragvi and Mtkvari rivers. Due to its historical significance and numerous ancient monuments, Mtskheta became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994. Remains of towns at this location have been dated to earlier than the year 1000 BC, and Mtskheta was capital of the early Georgian Kingdom of Iberia during the 3rd century BC – 5th century AD. It was the site of early Christian activity, and the location where Christianity was proclaimed the state religion of Georgia in 337. Svetitskhoveli Cathedral (11th century) and Jvari Monastery (6th century) in Mtskheta are amongst the most significant monuments of Georgian Christian architecture.